Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I'm Kerbi!

                                                      

Hey everybody!

I'm Kerbi. I'm pretty much the new kid at the GSM/Red Earth compound (which is basically a garage that we converted into a cozy little office for our team).

My Red Earth story also started in college. I studied International Business and Entrepreneurship at Belmont University here in Nashville. While taking classes like "Economics of Development," which is all about alleviating poverty, hunger and disease, I really started to hone in on my desire to do the same myself.  I was learning about how microfinance and basic business education were literally changing the world and giving people the opportunity to break free from generations of extreme poverty.

Right after I graduated, I met Travis and we shared our passion and vision to see if they lined up. Obviously they did, and I was immediately on board. Then I met Brady, whom you will meet in the next update, and we all sat down to brainstorm some possible names.  Red Earth Trading Co. was the winner and everything snowballed after that.

Almost a year later, we now have an online store and I am so excited about everything we are planning and working towards in 2011! We have an upcoming trip to Africa to visit the artisans that make our products. This is my first trip over there and I am bursting at the seams to travel with my friends and have my life changed forever.

I am so blessed to be doing work I love. I can only hope that everyone gets the opportunity to do the same.

Thanks for being a part of Red Earth. I hope you enjoy the journey with us.

Kerbi Hickman
Online Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment